Jamaican Oxtail Stew
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 2 hrs
Total Time 2 hrs 10 mins
Jamaican Oxtail Stew- This braised oxtail with butter beans not only have a complex note from allspice but also that familiar garlic, thyme, scotch bonnet and onion medley. Fall of the bone tender.
- 2 -3 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1- 2 pounds oxtail cut up medium pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1- teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ketchup /tomato paste
- 1 Whole Scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 green onions chopped
- 5-6 Whole pimento seeds (allspice),
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1- teaspoon curry or more adjust to preference
- 15 ounce can butter beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon browning (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon bouillon powder or cube (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Season oxtail with, salt and pepper. Set aside
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, until hot, and then add the oxtail sauté stirring, frequently, any browned bits off the bottom of the pot, until oxtail is brown. If desire drain oil and leave about 2-3 tablespoons
- Add onions, green onions, garlic, thyme, all spice, worcestershire,smoked paprika, stir for about a minute. Throw in scotch bonnet pepper, tomato paste, bouillon and curry powder, stir for another minute.
- Then add about 4-6 cups of water , it’s best to start with 4 cups , then add as needed . Bring to a boil and let it simmer until tender (depending on the oxtail size and preference) about 2- 3 hours, occasionally stirring the saucepan.
- About 20-30 minutes before you remove from the stove add broad beans. Adjust thickness of soup with water or stock
- Season with salt according to preference.
Source Recipe : www.africanbites.com